Thursday, December 1, 2016

Reality is a Lovely Place, But I Wouldn't Want to Live There

Most writers I know have imaginary friends. It's nothing to be ashamed of. In fact, I find it's quite useful.

The most beautiful thing about being a writer is that you are never alone unless you choose to be.

Last night I had a sit down with Amelia, the protagonist of a new book I'm working on (spoilers!) so I could get to know her a little better before I threw her into a new scene. She was very cross, and with good reason, since I hadn't been listening to what she wanted to do in the story. I learned that Amelia was a Ravenclaw (not a Gryffindor, as I wanted her to be) and I got to know my first truly angsty, sassy protagonist. It's not what the plot needs; it's just who she is.

The wonderful thing about fiction is that it doesn't make the characters any less real or any less important to you than the people you see in day-to-day life.

2016 has been a big year for many of us and, in times like these, reality can be overwhelming. I want you to know, dear reader, that there is no shame in taking a quick vacation from The Real World to recharge - whether that's in a good book, a TV show, or just a chat with your favorite fictional character.

Reality will be waiting when you're ready to return.